Uncle's Rant

Saturday, October 15, 2005

How much?!?

I'm currently trying to get myself back into the old way of thinking - local shops, local produce, better quality. Is it really cheaper though than heading off down the nearest Walmart inspired store? I'm not so sure.

I went down the local fishmonger today, and when I say local I don't just mean a short walk down the road. No. I had to drive a good 5 miles just to go there. It's worth it though as I've been there before and I know it's good, but... boy is it expensive.

Today I bought a large sea bass, just the one mind and it cost me £9.10! Eeek! Yes there is enough for two, and yes I'm sure it will be fantastic but at that price it's more of a treat than a regular meal.

At least I made it out of the shop without choking this time, last time I went there I was given a piece of sea asparagus to try, which went down the wrong way, made me look like a cat with a furball in it's throat and if it hadn't been for the swift action of the lady fishmonger getting me a drink of water I would have surely sicked it all back up again right onto the cod roe.

Next stop was the butchers next door. I'm a big fan of the cookery shows on TV, and the chefs are currently saying we should all be heading down our local butchers for low cost, high quality stuff. Plus even better you can ask there advice on how to cook stuff. Great.

Today I wanted a lovely lamb roast for tomorrows Sunday dinner, so when I spotted a small boneless leg all neatly wrapped up I asked the butcher to give me a price on it, and boy did he give me a price. "£13.95!!" I coughed. He saw my despair immediately and began to justify the price. He explained that it had been hung for 3 weeks for added flavour, and that I'd never taste another bit of lamb like it.

So with great pain I handed the money over, I'd been sold. I don't know what I'd been sold, but I'd been sold nonetheless.

Yes I know it will do two meals, and yes I'm sure the quality is fantastic but I can't help thinking back to the leg of lamb I bought in Sainsbury's last time which was twice the size and half the price.

Anyway the proof is in the eating and I aim to have gobbled up both of them before the end of the weekend, so I guess I'll let you know.

I'll probably burn it anyway.

3 Comments:

  • Well the fish was worth it at least, and it was probably one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a while.

    If you want to try it yourselves here's the recipe:-

    Sea Bass Recipe
    I can highly recommend the mediterranean mash alone even without the fish - it's to die for!

    By Blogger The Uncle, at October 15, 2005 10:49 pm  

  • Uncle (& Tim)

    365 sounds great, I'll definitely be tuning in.

    And keep up the blogging Uncle.

    By Blogger Danny Stack, at October 16, 2005 10:13 am  

  • Danny needs to get some sleep - 3:13 am!!!

    And Unc, you know its worth it. Post a photo of your lamb creation when it happens!

    By Blogger Tim Clague, at October 16, 2005 10:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Counters
Dialup Internet