Uncle's Rant

Friday, August 11, 2006

The Daily Rag


Now I'm not a fan of newspapers, even though today I'm featured in a full-page article about blogging with fellow blogger Tim Clague in our local newspaper, the Bournemouth Daily Echo.

I think local newspapers are great, how else does a small community get it's local news? I don't like the tabloids for obvious reasons (see picture!), and I don't like the broadsheets because, well they're just too... broad.

So I like a local newspaper but I rarely buy one. Why? Well there's one thing I hate about all newspapers, in fact it's something that makes me feel physically ill. You see I just can't stand the smell of them. I'm not talking about the ethereal stench of a tabloid, I'm talking about the general smell of every single newspaper in the whole wide world. I can't stand it!

I can't even tie it down to one thing either.

Is it the ink? I don't think so, I have ink around me in various forms all the time and that doesn't bother me.

Is it the cheap, sometimes recycled paper? No, the more recycled paper the better!

So what is it then? I think it must be a combination of the two, what else can it be?

Why can't a newspaper smell nice for a change? Maybe if they sprayed it with a bit of Gaultier (the perfume not the man himself spraying the papers like a cat marking its territory), as it leaves the production line. Or if somewhere in the recycling process they included rose petals in the press, that could help too.

Of course today I bought 5, 'cause I'm in it and the family insist on all having a copy. I still don't like the way it smells though.

Let me know if newspapers get up your nose too.

I just can't stand it, to me it all smells of yesterday's... er... news.

4 Comments:

  • Happy Birthday to the big Unc! Who now smells like last years relative.

    By Blogger Tim Clague, at August 12, 2006 10:48 pm  

  • Hey Uncle - how did you get your name?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 12, 2006 10:49 pm  

  • From Cy aka Guy. I am sorry to hear of your allergy. I cannot stand the carpet glue smell in new shops and offices. Try reading your paper outdoors, especially on a day when the air is moving gently. cyquick.wordpress.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 17, 2006 11:17 am  

  • By day it lighted the fractional floor space of a little stationer, who supplemented a slim business by a sub-agency for railroad and steamship lines; but to-night this window seemed the framework of a azithromycin marvel of coincidence.. At this moment a boy with a gun came strolling tylenol along the road, and hearing Mr.. The rest is more readily taken for crestor granted...

    By Blogger Dupa Jasia, at April 09, 2007 10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Counters
Dialup Internet